Friday, July 11, 2008

moving right along...

Bliss is better. Believe me he is better. Last night he suddenly got H.U.N.G.R.Y. Today I am exhausted trying to keep up with him, which is normal around here.

Thanks again for all the well wishes, they sure helped!!

As for me today is a cheat day. I decided to make this Steak and Guinness Pie from Jamie Oliver's show Jamie At Home. The recipe is not online anywhere and I had to transcribe it from stop and go with my Tivo so I don't think i should post it here. It is such a winter dish but I have been drooling over it for over 2 months so I just had to make it now.

I also decided to make Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding. In part because Forever Reaching has asked for some recipes this last week and I had given her the link and realized I hadn't made it in a while. Imagine my amusement when I sat down after putting it in the fridge to cool and I get an email for Kymberli's blog and she has posted about the very same recipe. Speaking of Kymberli, has anyone besides me had trouble keeping up with that woman this week, sheesh!! Anyway she encouraged me to post it to and spread the yummy word.

So here is the recipe.

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
6 to 8 bananas, sliced (I use 3 bananas only and it is way banana enough for me)
2 cups milk
1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream (I use a pint of whipping cream, no sugar added)


Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a hand-held electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. (I mix but leave lumps, it gives a lil more tang that I love) Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. (I leave it a little bit swirled for more interesting flavor but mostly mixed) Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I actually saw her make this on a show way back and she mentioned she got the recipe from a fan. Things I change are in brackets in blue above. It really is amazingly delicious and I am not even a huge banana cream pie or pudding fan. Every friend I have given the recipe to is hooked as well.


7 om's.:

JW Moxie said...

Frank is making ours tomorrow, and he's going to try it with your special nuances! :)

Great minds think alike!

bleu said...

They sure do!!!!!!

JW Moxie said...

The first time through this post, I missed the little part about not being able to keep up with me. School starts in four weeks. I'll slow down then. :)

Catherine said...

Glad Bliss is better. The pudding sounds to good!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm glad Bliss is doing better.

Ocean Dreamer said...

Glad Bliss is doing better. Thanks for the pudding recipe. Wonder if it would taste as good without the cookies?

Anonymous said...

Girl after my own heart! How I loooove the food network. Jamie at Home is a favorite. Why can't we all live like him?

So glad to hear Bliss is feeling better. I've kept you both in my thoughts.

xo