Wednesday, November 05, 2008

tears...

I cried last night. Tears of joy at Obama winning. Tears of finally seeing some change, some desperately needed change.

I woke up this morning and the tears have begun again and won't seem to stop. This time, however, they are not of joy. They voted for constitutional amendments to oppress. They voted to make me not equal. They voted to say I have less rights, am less allowed, am less.

I LOVE Obama, I have loved him for YEARS, but this morning I am so sadly aware of how my choice to move is the right one. I have to raise my son in a place where his mother is considered an equal citizen worthy of equal rights. I am just so very hurt, that in California, they have voted to hurt.

The tears keep falling.

22 om's.:

ohchicken said...

right there with you. we were hoping to get married in california next summer.

looks like we're headed to new england. and then we'll hold our breath.

i think you're on the right track and wish we could join you.

sigh.

mulberry said...

me too! me too!!!

annacyclopedia said...

Oh sweetie. That just makes me so angry and sad for you. I wish today could be a day of pure celebration for you.

MrsSpock said...

If I had lived in California, I would have voted No. I voted No here in Ohio a few years ago, but sadly I was very much in the minority. I hope things change soon.

battynurse said...

I know. It makes me so sad and angry that so much bigotry exists.

Anonymous said...

:( hugs to you xx

Fat Chick said...

I was stunned when I saw how 8 went. I just couldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. In California?! That is INSANE. It is awful. Truly disgusting. How could people vote to oppress? I am saddened, and I can understand your wanting to leave. How can you live where you are seen as the Other? Where people vote to make you less than? Horrific. It is horrific, what has happened.

Dora said...

It disgusts me that this proposition even made it on the ballot. JUST. SO. WRONG.

Billy said...

How sad :-(
It's going back to the dark ages. Why can't people just live and let live?? I am what I am, you are what you are, and we shal all live happily ever after.

P.S
Not that it's any better here (not only gay, but all sorts. heck, my child, as one whose father is unknown, might have trouble marrying one day).

Cece said...

*Hugs*. Move to MA! We think you are equal!

And you know what else - I don't know if the stupid relgious types see the irony of the freaking chicken law passing (rights for chickens to have enough space to turn around in their pens) and many votes NOT to give gays the right to marry. Dumbasses.

Catherine said...

OMG, I am so sorry for everyone in California. Reminds me not to take for granted all the rights we have in Canada

Anonymous said...

crap. so sorry for you.

just awful selfish people doing other people harm with a vote.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully equal rights for everyone in the US will be something we see in our lifetimes, much like the first African-American president. I too was shocked that California would choose this, as it is so often a place of progression and acceptance. Big hug to you Bleu.

Topcat said...

Wow. I'm so sorry about that
Bleu. Good on you for making the move .... such a big decision, to uproot and move elsewhere. But you are showing Bliss (and bubs!) how to stand up for your principles.
XOXOXOXOX Power to you

N7 said...

I'm sorry Bleu :( I agree with you and our country is too harsh and you 'count' here, but not there and you can get married here, but not here, etc. Its a bunch of bullshit.
Hopefully, Obama can change that and bring some equality to this country.
Screw California.....

Tanya said...

We were talking about this today at work (go figure... we don't even live in the states) and discussing how ridiculous it is. Why anyone thinks they have the right to tell someone else how to live and who they can love is beyond me.

LJ said...

I am so happy Obama won, but was horrified at the bigoted passage of Prop 8, and that Arkansas is now banning gay couples from adopting. It scares me to see such hate is still acceptable.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

California's vote was the first thing I checked when I woke up yesterday. I wish people weren't overlooking it in the excitement of Obama. It is a huge step backwards.

suburban dyke said...

Let’s fight back on Proposition 8. Let’s boycott California wines, produce and travel. Let’s publicize it. Let’s embarrass them. It worked a few years ago in Colorado. What do say?

Demeter said...

I can understand Bleu, I am upset to know that too. I could not believe what I heard on TV. and less so for California. My thoughts are with you. Canada welcomes you. At least in Canada you have these rights. Why is it taking so long for people to understand the equalness of choice of gender partnership???

Unknown said...

They passed on in the state where we're from (MI) and in the state we live in now (WI), and both times we both cried, lots. it is painful and it's not fair. Someday, our country will get it right, but it sure feels a long way off.

dana said...

I was also bitterly disappointed by the various Gay RIghts bans in this election - despite being elated that Obama won. We live in Florida - where its illegal for my partner to adopt our children and now - because of Florida's Prop 2 - domestic partners here are going to have an even harder time fighting for their rights. I was shocked at California's loss, too. It doesn't seem right that we are going backwards instead of forward.
Good luck on your house-hunting trip.