Sunday, November 09, 2008

show and tell...



This post is for Mel.

I only recently began trying out bread making. It is something I have always wanted to do but had not. I am a pie maker from a young age, love making baked goods. My Tiramisu is better than I can find at the best Italian restaurant. But I never made bread beyond quick breads.

I began trying a couple months ago but the morning sickness and Metformin at the time made me not able to eat what I was baking so I too a break. I made three different breads back then and one was pretty good and two quickly became rocks.

I began searching out recipes to make artisan bread as a novice and found a lot I thought would not be good to try. Then I came across THIS article in the NY Times and couldn't wait to try it. I only had to wait for the sickness to go. So three days ago I finally decided to give it a try.

The recipe is HERE and it is so easy it is ridiculous. I am not one who wants easy necessarily. I actually love a multi-step recipe and even enjoy, so far, kneading bread and the feel of it. But this bread had such a write-up and so many rave reviews and it was artisan like in taste supposedly.

Anyhow I was shocked how beautiful it came out, and then that night I could not eat it because I was stuffed and had to wait until lunch the next day and you know what, it was amazing!!! It is still amazing days later. I will definitely be using this recipe over and over.


Now head over to Mel's and look at all the other Show and Tell's this week.

28 om's.:

Brenda said...

Oh Yummy!

astral said...

Your bread looks delicious!! I love the simpleness of bread. I love the taste and how comforting it is to me. When I have free time I will definitely be trying out your bread recipe.

AnotherDreamer said...

I love home made bread :)

I use my breadmaker rarely, but when I do, it gets ate right up.

admin said...

Beautiful
I will have to give it a try..

'Murgdan' said...

Oh I am soooo gonna have to try that! Looks delicious!

Sam said...

that bread looks good. I have always been a bit nervous about making bread, but I think that I might just give it a go!

Anonymous said...

They do look very yummy. Perhaps when you move to Canada, you will close enough that I could come over and sample? :) I would bring something to go along, and something fun for the kids to eat...

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Kathy

battynurse said...

Looks beautiful and tasty.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

It is gorgeous--you've convinced me. I'm going to try it.

Cara said...

Our breadmaker has been the source of homemade bread in this house for years. Until, this year - when my middle child went Gluten Free. I found, I HAD to make it by hand and it is ok.

I wonder if Mr. Breadwonder has anything for me? I'll look.

Thanks and yours looks amazing!!

MrsSpock said...

Oh yum! I make bread every week, but this looks much prettier! Now I just need a big bowl of onion soup!

George said...

Artisan bread is my favorite - I'm definitely trying this recipe. Yours looks gorgeous...YUM! Thanks.

Michelle said...

Home made bread is the greatest! That looks so YUMMY!

annacyclopedia said...

Bleu, that looks amazing! Maybe once we get moved I'll try making it with kamut flour. I'm feeling hungry just looking at it.

Malky B. said...

Looks easy but so much rising time? That's interesting.

Kristin said...

That looks fabulous. I love baking bread!

Anonymous said...

Oh yummy! I looooove nice bread and you've inspired me to give it a try. Quick question though, here 1 cup = 250ml and 1 teaspoon = 5ml. What adjustments will I need to make to get it to US measurements?

tobacco brunette said...

Oooh...that is gorgeous and looks SO delicious. I think if I lived near you, you'd never be able to get rid of me. I'd show up at your kitchen table every morning, waiting to see (eat) your latest creation. You're a very talented cook, bleu.

I've been so behind in my blog reading, but am so glad to hear that your OB appointment went well.

Good luck with your house hunting trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

XOXO

dana said...

I have been wanting to make this bread recipe for awhile now! I even mess up bread in a bread maker, so I was hesitant - but you've convinced me to try this one!

Fat Chick said...

I, too, LOVE to bake. I find that baking bread is almost spiritual - such an earthy activity, you know? All that kneading and mixing and rising... I always feel so happy. Ahhhh... to bake bread again. I miss it. Your bread looks GORGEOUS! Enjoy!

Fat Chick said...

I, too, LOVE to bake. I find that baking bread is almost spiritual - such an earthy activity, you know? All that kneading and mixing and rising... I always feel so happy. Ahhhh... to bake bread again. I miss it. Your bread looks GORGEOUS! Enjoy!

N7 said...

soooo....like....you want my addy to send this bread to? And...some tiramisu? :)

That looks so good!!!!! And don't EVER EVER EVER brag about something like Tiramisu without proving it miss!

You have got ME craving it and YOURE the pregnant one!

Topcat said...

YUM!!!!!!! Mate, that look so incredibly yummy! And beautiful. I am going to make it, from the recipe you linked. Yes, yes I am.

That is AWESOME about the doppler! Gotta love blogland!! XOX

Peeveme said...

I'm so impressed! Glad you are feeling well enough to eat it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just started reading your blog at the recommendation of a dear friend. I'm looking forward to reading your story. Is it ok if I add your link to my blog?

Kriss said...

THANK YOU for sharing this article and recipe! I have already made three loafs of it! My husband took a sandwich today made out of it and called me raving! With one of the stale loafs I made french toast for the kids. I am fixing to head in the kitchen to make a forth batch for Saturday. I have a BBQ to go to and I am taking it as a hostess gift in a basket with jam. I don't know if I will buy loaf bread again when this is so simple, low cost and delish!!! Thank you!!!!!!

tobacco brunette said...

Where are you? Everything okay?

Ashley said...

If you like artisan bread, I can't recommend strongly enough anything by Peter Reinhart. I learned bread baking from The Bread Baker's Apprentice and honestly, I have rarely found bread better than my own. Get yourself that book!