Tuesday, January 08, 2008

the latest...

So after 48 hours and 17 minutes we got power back. It took them just under 10 minutes to restore it. I think that was the most infuriating part. That it was simply a transformer and the whole reason we went so long was because we just were not important to them. Restoring power to Starbucks was far more urgent.

As for UPS I refused the expired pastries and am battling them over the lies the driver told. They admitted it was not a usual driver and they have promised to call me after speaking directly to him but we shall see. The bakery is working with me to ensure we all get ALL of our money back, I am really hoping we do. In the meantime I had them send the order again and it should be here tomorrow. Let's hope.

On the FET front some semi-exciting news. I have been pretty vocal about wanting assisted hatching with my FET. My clinic usually does not hatch blastocysts. They often do day 3 embryos but not so much the blasts. Well I finally got to speak with the embryologist and she said she was more than willing but was concerned with managing the amount of acid with a blast. She also admitted to me that she had never personally hatched blasts as it just wasn't something they did, but that she was more than willing to do so. I told her I had researched about this and found an article from an Embryologist on the East Coast about blasts and hatching. The part I was most interested in was where he recommended having your embryologist contact him about blast hatching protocol. I told her this and she said she would be happy to speak with him and to get her his email or phone number. I told her I would send her an email within the next 24 hours.

I next wrote her with his clinics website address and number and gave her 2 emails but told her I wasn't sure if either was current. I called his clinic yesterday but it had already closed as it is on the East Coast and I on the West. I left a message detailing what I was wanting. Today I called the clinic again and explained what I wanted and the next moment he was on the phone. He was very kind and thoughtful and explained he would be happy to speak with my embryologist. He explained that that was actually what he preferred and enjoyed and to just have her call him. I explained her concerns with acid control and he said yes it was a definite concern and there was an easy "work around" for it, that the protocol had been published years back but it was done so in an obscure publication that many embryologists just didn't usually see. I thanked him profusely and gave her name and mine so he would know when she called. I hung up and wrote an email to my embryologist detailing my conversation with him and re-stating his phone number and that he looked forward to her call.

I just got online after a day out and about and had an email from my embryologist. She informed me she had spoken with him this morning and that he had called her. He walked her through his protocol and she got some useful info. She also told me she felt that the "embryos will do just fine" (We had discussed a possibility of only hatching 1 or 2 instead of the three for worries about just this thing). She then thanked me for putting her in touch with him and said it was very helpful.

Well I can tell you all I feel just so super-duper about all of that. I mean every corny word there, it really gave me a boost. I am also once again so impressed with my clinic and their willingness to work with me, guide me, learn for themselves if applicable, and allow me to learn. It makes me want this so much more for them as well as myself.

So on that note I am happy this evening, feeling less blah for now. I have my u/s on Thursday and a week from tomorrow hopefully 3 little possibilities will be snuggling in for a long ride.

8 om's.:

Anonymous said...

Very impressive work on your part!

battynurse said...

Wow, you are so proactive. I don't know if I would even know how to research that. Glad your power is back on and I agree you should stand up to UPS. That was so wrong of that guy.

Anonymous said...

it's all happening. that's great!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you have a clinic that is willing to work with you - what a wonderful environment to be in!

R said...

Sending lots and lots of positive energy your way..

The Milk Maid said...

Hi! You visited me and I thought I'd return the favor!!!

We have so much in common-- it's great to be "different" yet so alike... rock on mama!

The Milk Maid

gold star said...

you amaze me with your proactivity.

nancy said...

Wow!!! I am ~so~ impressed with your embryologist's openess to try something new. So often with the technical people, I find they think they already know best and are closed down to new things. That is just an amazing outcome and you are so lucky to have people like that in your corner!