Wednesday, December 10, 2008

the trip part four...

I want to start this post mentioning that while I had seen so many crap houses much of it was because I had only been able to go by pictures on MLS and had not had my own Realtor I had been working with. I had tried but got a lot of flakes and didn't set up with much before arranging just times to visit houses on a list I sent. Also Nova Scotia, where I was looking, just plain did not have many houses available, it was much more that than the houses all being bad. I LOVED the area and so did everyone living in it apparently because few were moving. I am sure for 100,000 grand more we could find a great place but we have our budget and will not go over.

OK that all said on to the next day. Where was I? Prince Edward Island, yes. First off in the morning we saw 2 homes in New Brunswick on the way to PEI. They were sort of last minute things that turned out not right but we stopped anyways. Next we took the Confederation Bridge over to the island and met the Realtor at the first house.

The Island was BEAUTIFUL, absolutely stunning. The red earth and patchwork valley's were so lovely. The first house was in fantastic shape and had lots of acres. The ONLY problem was it was right on the road and we just can't do that with the dogs and kids, I just want something back off the road.

We saw another house on the same road down a bit and it was back off the road with a beautiful large yard. The Realtor arranged for us to view it. It was a lovely 100 year old home on 3 acres and it beautiful shape. So much of what we want but priced a bit over our budget and with so little acreage I just felt was not wise. It was so lovely though. Here is a pic of it and the one below is of the loft in the garage. The owner was a Lobster man for years and his son still is. The picture is fuzzy but the buoys looked like pretty lanterns all lit up and so lovely.

Everywhere we drove on the island was beautiful, I was scribbling road names and property numbers the entire day. I loved the agricultural community feeling of so much of the island. THIS is what we were looking for so much more. A couple houses we saw were just too old and run down, or the property wasn't exactly right but we saw a lot more potential. One place was right smack dab next to a King.dom Ha.ll and I cannot explain how happy those people would be did they know the crazy queer Buddhist hippy flower child is not moving in within spitting distance of their place.

The other concern about the island is just that, living on an island. Charlottetown is a big city and has lots f major stores and whatnot so much could be gotten from there, but there is the fear of island fever of sorts and of Bliss growing to teenage years and being in that "dying to leave" place which would kill me (seriously).

The final fact to contend with is that it costs $41.50 to leave the island. It is free to drive on but that is the toll to leave. That is a chunk of change folks and it is hard to know how much impact that would have in our daily lives. we want to start a business, but what about if things needed to be brought across regularly, all of that is something to think about.

We ended the day driving back to the hotel and playing in this amazing kids pool which we had booked because of the big pool slide it had. Little did I know the slide was 2 stories high and Bliss HAD to have me sit and hold him going down. I lay back, squeezed my eyes shut and prayed not to get sick. He had a blast, but we only did it 2 or 3 times.

After that I went across the street and got myself a HUGE steak and lobster dinner. The first I had in the Maritimes. It was AMAZING. Bliss had steak and bread and veggies.

Then sleep and even sleeping in a bit and the next day our final day driving around.

8 om's.:

Anonymous said...

I went on a fantastic trip to New Brunswick, NS and PEI with an old boyfriend about 7 years ago. That part of Canada is pure magic! I love the thought of you and Bliss living there!

One of our favorite stops was Lunenburg, in Nova Scotia. Have you heard of it? I would highly recommend it on your next trip if a quick internet search of it looks good to you!

xox

Anonymous said...

wow. I had no idea you were considering (for a moment) living on the island. I bet it was beautiful.

Catherine said...

Was the hotel in Moncton SUper 8? That is one we go to too.

Fat Chick said...

That house is GORGEOUS! OMG, it is such a great place. And home hunting is a pain, so discouraging. It took me 1.5 years to find my condo, but when I walked in, I just knew. It will happen to you, too. And hopefully sooner!

I hear you about the island fever. I wonder, though, how much of island fever is a generational things. Kids today travel a heck of a lot more than I ever did, or my parents ever did. So I wonder if kids now are more inclined to that "DYING TO LEAVE" feeling, since they get to see more of the world as they grow up.

MaverickMama said...

If you end up on P.E. Island I will totally beg you to let me camp in your yard for a vacation. I would love to visit the place written about in one of my favorite books.

MrsSpock said...

That house really sounds lovely- too bad it was too pricey.

The idea of going down a 2 storey slide makes me want to wet my pants. I don't do heights and I'm chicken about the water...

chicklet said...

I'm way behind and had no idea, but PEI sounds like a good opportunity - I'd be worried re the island part too though. If it'd be a pain to get on and off, to pay to leave like you said. I bet there's blogs or sites out there that talk about what it's like to be there?

battynurse said...

I've always thought it would be a kick to live next to a king.dom ha.ll and decorate like crazy for all of the holidays. Of course that is the defiant part of me.