Tuesday, July 08, 2008

the last 12 hours...(updated twice)

Bliss tossed and turned after being put to bed last night. At 9pm it became evident that our AC had gone out. Yesterday was 104 degrees so at 9pm it was only down to 80 degrees. By 10:30 Bliss was in the bath to cool off. Then suddenly he is crying, I am trying to fix the AC and hear him and go running. He is not just hot, he is sick. He so desperately wanted to throw up and couldn't. I got in the bath with him and held him while he shook and cried, and shivered and boiled. This was the first time in his life he has been sick to his tummy and not just immediately thrown up. The contortions his face took while he suffered ripped through my heart like a jagged knife.

By 11:40 he had fallen asleep in my lap in the bath. I got him out of the bath and into bed, and then I tried a little bit more to fix the AC, no luck. I think it is a capacitor but I am not sure. I faxed our AC Girl (it is her work name AC Girl) and left a message and came back to check Bliss. He was awake but said he felt a little better. His forehead was hot though, but his fever was not too bad. He tossed and turned until we both fell asleep at 1:30am. He woke up sobbing at 3:05 needing to be sat up and help with a throw up bowl for about 30 minutes until he fell back asleep in my arms.

Then at 4:30 Henrietta woke me up panting something awful from overheating. I got a bottle of water and slowly poured it over her and held her in front of the fan until she stopped panting the "I-can't-breathe-pant. I was back asleep at about ten to five.

Then I got woken up at 6:15 by Bliss needing to go potty. He was still hot both with fever and the broken AC. He fell back asleep laying half on my side in front of the fan and I got back to sleep about 6:30. Then the phone rang at 7:30 by roomie checking to see if we were ok and if I had called the AC Girl to confirm. She felt awful for waking us. I went back to sleep and woke up at 8:20.

The AC Girl will be here after noon. Today is expected to be 106 degrees. Bliss now has a fever of 101.7 and I am taking turns wetting down the dogs.

But ya know what. I love my life, I am tired, but I love every moment of getting to take care of my baby and the girls.

Now I must think about getting some coffee.

UPDATE: The AC Girl is just awesome. I am linking her site because she is so honest and quick and nice. I used her last year and she only had to reset my system and she hadn't even wanted to charge me. I insisted. Anyhow she called at 10:40 and asked if she could come early. Uh, YES thanks a million!!!!! She came by, and yes it was the capacitor. She showed me everything so if ever it happens again I can do it myself which I love. She was done in less than 10 minutes. The service call and parts and labor was only $165 which I think is real reasonable. Her day is swamped because summer finally hit Sacramento and we are in triple digits all week, like above 105 each day.

Bliss finally felt well enough to take some ibuprofen and his fever finally broke. He is still only having some toast and not hungry but he a a million times better.

Thanks for all the sweet thoughts, they are wonderful.

UPDATE #2: His fever is back with a vengeance. Poor lil thing. It looks to be another long night.

16 om's.:

JW Moxie said...

How miserable! I HATE being overheated. Our AC broke down for one day last summer and it was awful. I hope yours is in full repair by the end of the day. Most importantly, I hope that Bliss makes a quick recovery.

annacyclopedia said...

Oh sweetie! What a night! I hope Bliss feels much better soon (and you don't get whatever he had) and the AC gets fixed in short order.

R said...

Hope he feels better soon and you get some relief from that heat. Uhhh.. I am so sorry. I know when it is that hot, it just makes things ten times as bad. But you rock for your positive attitude you have :)

Deb said...

Hope Bliss feels better quickly and that the AC is a quick and easy fix.

Unknown said...

I'm sending get well vibes to Bliss. I hope that your AC is fixed SOON!

Cajun Cutie said...

wow, I hope you beat the heat!I hope Bliss feels better soon. I knwo that awful feeling of being sick and not being able to vomit and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. May the AC Girl be able to fix the AC quickly and inexpensively. Good Luck my friend!

Tanya said...

I'm glad to hear Bliss is feeling a little better. Hopefully, he will sleep it away now that your house is bearable to be in again.

What a great repair girl you have. That's exactly the type of person I'd like. I don't just want it fixed I want to know how to do it if it ever happens again.

Catherine said...

So, glad your AC is fixed. When we were in Montreal, I couldn't live without it. I hope Bliss feels better soon, nothing worse then a sick kid, makes us all feel helpless.

Anonymous said...

poor little fellow, hope he is feeling better soon.

sending get well vibes that he will be back making fabulous stew again soon.

Sam said...

Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon. Yuck to the weather, I am sure happy it is only in the mid to upper 90's this week here.

Unknown said...

Feel better Bliss!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor little love. I hope he feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

me too - get well soon Bliss!!

battynurse said...

Oh Bleu, how awful. I'm sorry that the AC chose this week to give out and that Bliss is sick too. I hope he is feeling better soon.

JW Moxie said...

I hope that Bliss is feeling better today!

Topcat said...

I hope your little guy feels better soon, poor thing!!

I bet that coffee tasted nice after your ten million wake-ups.

xo