Saturday, July 05, 2008

show and tell...

Today I will show and tell about "the girls."


(This was the best and only use of my pack and play)


I got Dirt Dah Der when I was still living with an abusive ex. She was really the first of many goddesses that came into my life and helped me heal so much after I was disowned and subjecting myself to the abuse I knew so well from my parents. Getting her helped me leave that relationship and move towards piecing my life back together. I have always been someone who desperately wants to give love unconditionally. Likely because I didn't get it much growing up.
Dirt gave me just as much if not more than I gave and truly changed my life. My roomie took to her immediately when we met and Dirt adored her too. I really think it was one of my cues to know she was meant to be a true friend in my life.

When I got pregnant with Bliss I bred Dirt to make sure she didn't feel so badly about me bringing someone new into our family. I also knew I wanted her to have a playmate. She went into labor on Easter when I was 6 weeks pregnant and had just been put on bed rest due to my progesterone severely dropping. She insisted on being in my lab during her labor and I had some actual contractions while she labored.

Dirt gave birth to two puppies. (She had only let the male, second I had tried, tie one time and while tied she dragged him through a doggie door, across a deck, down a flight of wooden steps and into a flower bed, thus only two puppies) I named the first one born Henrietta after a woman who had been very important in my life during college. Henrietta Clodette (get it, dirt clod, I am so clever), Henri for short. The second one ended up named Pandamonium, Panda for short. They were both girls. Panda went to my groomer who was also a dear friend. We were in an apartment at the time but sometimes I wish I had kept both.

(Henri has the perfect tear drop on her head)


I ended up waiting 12 weeks before turning over Panda to my friend and as it was I cried daily for 2 weeks after. This was due, in part to pregnancy hormones, maybe.



(there is little cuter than Shih Tzu puppies)


Henri got a nickname of Wig-Wam since her hair did this really silly thing all the time.



They have both been so amazing in our lives. Dirt was so protective of Bliss as a baby that whenever I left the room leaving Bliss asleep or to go pee a second she would get on the bed or wherever he was and sit beside him until I returned. Henri is an easy going happy-go-lucky dog that has this ability to make one laugh no matter how their day has been or how bad their mood is. The both spend at least 1-3 hours a day standing on their hind legs in a wrestle dance with each other that is so amusing.

Dirt hates fireworks with a passion. I give her calm down (a homeopathic calming liquid) every year during the 4th of July. She used to have to get narcotics until I found this so now each year we cook turkey and give her the stuff so she will relax, even so she still has to be held most the night lest she will run and cower under the back of the toilet. I have no idea why she chooses there but apparently it is a dog thing.

Last night she was held, and coddled and then she seemed suddenly to get super hot while next to me on my bed. She was panting and then she suddenly decided she had to lay on my desk, I had to move the keyboard even. She DOES think she is a cat at times, and she DOES sit in the windowsill for hours a day, and she DOES sometimes get called by me saying "here kitty kitty kitty" but this is a first so I took a picture.


So that is the girls, thanks for letting me share.

30 om's.:

battynurse said...

How cute. They are cute little dogs. My dog hates fireworks also and will refuse to go outside for hours even if it's just to go potty.

R said...

OMG!! I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!

Tanya said...

They're so cute! You gotta love the unconditional love a pet gives you.

You think hiding behind the toilet is odd? (actually my cat does that when I vacuum). We had a Great Dane when I was a kid. When there was thunder she would try to crawl underneath the waterbeds... not very successful.

Anonymous said...

*dying from the cute*
i have a friend who has a Lahsa and a Shih Tzu and they are both damned cute little doggies.

and you are right - not much cuter than Shih Tzu puppies. i LOVE the wig-wan nickname. and how you gave up panda, you are stronger than me.

thanks for sharing!!!

luckyduck said...

Will you please post your homeopathic recipe for calming the dog? We have a dog who freaks out in the car. I have tried meds from the doctor, but they don't really work. I would love to try something that won't hurt him either!

Jill (from BBC)

annacyclopedia said...

Thanks for sharing the girls with us - they are so cute! Until I got my dog, Lucky, a few months ago, I had no idea how much love I could have from a pet. But I totally get it now and I'm so glad you have Dirt and Henri to share that with.

bleu said...

Hey there!!! We get stuff called Calm Down that is from Petco or Petsmart, I believe both carry it. We don't put it in the water we do the syringe. I give my girls 1-2ml and they are between 10-15lbs.
I really was surprised by the stuff.

Delenn said...

They are so cute! And I am glad they were there for comfort and help. Its great when pets become family.

Wishing 4 One said...

Hey, your girlz are waaaay too cute! So super duper cute I wish i could reach through the screen and hug them! Thanks so much for sharing.

Carrie said...

I love your dogs, how beautiful they are.
My old dog used to freak out and head for behind the toilet too. Seems an odd place but that's where she went, every single time.

K said...

Aww, I love them! It's amazing how completely dogs nestle their way into our hearts, isn't it? I look at ours at least once a week and remind her she's never, never allowed to leave me under any circumstances. It's a tall order, but we're working on it.

Give those puppies an extra squeeze from me today, ok?

Kim said...

Those fur babies are too cute, I love how furry they are like a big cotton ball. Kim

JW Moxie said...

Your two furbabies are adorable! Such a couple of fuzzy cuties!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful girls! Dogs are such a joy in life. I can't imagine life without them.

luckyduck said...

Thanks Bleu! Your dogs are so sweet looking. They are adorable!
Jill

Phoebe said...

Great story! I related to the whole unconditional love thing.

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from Show and Tell.

Your girls are adorable! Our 125 lb St Bernard is terrified of thunder and fireworks and will try to climb in our laps. Not an easy feat!

What a great story.

Mama said...

OMG, I grew up with a shih tzu and seeing these pictures made me so nostalgic. They are the cutest things!!!

Melzie said...

I am not a little dog person, but they are ADORABLE!!!!!!

My S&T

Anonymous said...

Aww, they're gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Sam said...

Adorable! Dude is the same way about fireworks, he heads under the bed. Thank you for sharing your girls.

'Murgdan' said...

They are such cuties! (Thanks for the 'Calm Down' discussion...I'll have to try that next year...my little pup didn't much care for his first experience with fireworks this weekend!).

Ocean Dreamer said...

They're very sweet. I love the story about Dirt dragging the pup's father into the flower bed - wish I could have seen it. My dogs have been a great source of support to me, too.

Oh, and I used to be a dog trainer - no one is sure why dogs go behind the toilet during thunderstorms and fireworks, but they think it has something to do with the dogs' sensing the electricity in the air (which is painful for them) and getting physical comfort from being near the water in the toilet.

ColourYourWorld said...

Simply adorable!

Catherine said...

I love the story of your fur babies. They are adorable! My doggie Bella hates fireworks too, but not to that extent. BTW, the playground is in Rothesay, it is more suburbia than country now, but I remember how it use to be.

Lollipop Goldstein said...

They are so gorgeous. You're making me really really really want a dog.

luna said...

so cute! what sweet friends.

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

tobacco brunette said...

So. Cute. Love the wig-wam pose!

Jen said...

I think it's a little dog thing. My scottie thinks she's a cat too. She will sit behind you on the couch cushions just like a cat!

But they are adorable!